Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards 2015
Travcom (New Zealand Travel Communicators) is calling for entries to its annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards.
The supreme winners of the Cathay Pacific Travel Writer of the Year and Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year awards will each receive double tickets to Zurich flying Cathay Pacific.
The deadline for entering is Friday, 27 February 2015. All winners will be announced at a gala evening on Wednesday 15 April 2015 at the Heritage Hotel, Auckland.
To download the entry form Click Here.
Tips on entering the awards - click here
- Cathay Pacific Travel Writer of the Year Award. The winner receives two economy class tickets, upgradeable on a space-available basis, to Zurich travelling with Cathay Pacific.
- maui Award for the Best Travel Story over 1000 words. Prize $500 and a voucher worth $1,500 towards a maui motorhome holiday in New Zealand.
- Westpac Award for the Best Travel Story under 1000 words. Prize $2000.
- Heritage Hotels Award for the Best Travel Story about New Zealand. The winner receives seven room nights with breakfast for two to redeem from a range of Heritage or CityLife Hotels throughout New Zealand.
- Interislander Award for the Best Story about a Journey. The winner receives a return crossing on the Interislander for a car and two passengers and $1000.
- British High Commission and Tourism Ireland Award for the Best Travel Story about Britain and/or Ireland. The winner receives $1000 along with a choice of collection pieces from Waterford Wedgwood to the value of $1000
- NZ Maori Tourism Award for the Best Travel Story that promotes Maori. Prize $2000.
- Treadright Foundation Award for the Best Responsible Tourism Story. The winner receives $2,000 worth of travel vouchers to use on one of the Travel Corporation’s brands: Trafalgar, Contiki Holidays, Insight Vacations, AAT Kings, Uniworld, Boutique River Cruises or Adventure World
- AA Directions New Travel Writer of the Year Award. Prize $1000.
For information on the photography awards click here.
For information on the Best Travel Blog of the Year Award click here.
For information on the New Travel Writer of the Year Award click here. This award is for unpublished travel stories written by those who have never had a travel story published.
How to enter: download writing entry form - click here
Easy print writing entry form (no pictures) - click here
Or to receive entry forms by email contact .
Entry deadline: Friday 27 February 2015
Travcom is a not-for-profit association of travel writers, photographers, broadcasters and travel-related communicators involved in promoting a high standard of travel writing and travel photography and in publicising New Zealand and international tourism. To reinforce the aim of encouraging excellence in travel writing and photography Travcom organises the annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards. Membership of Travcom offers good networking opportunities and benefits.
For more information please contact Helen Davies on or call 021 1781 384.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All entries must be written by a New Zealand-based writer, based on their own experiences, and first published in a newspaper, magazine, book or online on a third-party travel editorial website between 1 January 2014 and 26 February 2015. Book entries are expected not to be longer than one story/extract (maximum 2000 words).
•The travel media awards are open to online content, however only entries from genuine travel editorial websites are eligible. If you would like to submit a story that has been published online please check with the Travcom committee before entering by emailing who will forward your query onto the Awards Sub-Committee for consideration.
•Stories should not have been previously published prior to 1 January 2014 in any form.
•Entrants must be current Travcom members. A completed and signed Travcom membership form must accompany entries if entering the Awards and joining Travcom for the first time. Each entry costs $10.
•Entrants may submit work in more than one category, but the same story cannot be entered in more than one category.
•There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted.
•A completed entry form must accompany each story entered. Two hard copies of the published story clearly showing where the story was published must accompany each entry. Photocopies are acceptable. The full text, writer's name, name of the publication and date of publication must be shown. If necessary, include the masthead and/or contents page. Travcom will blank out names prior to submission to the judges to ensure anonymity. All entrants must be paid-up Travcom members.
•Only work published in a travel editorial context may be entered. Promotional or advertising work is not eligible, including stories that have appeared in an ‘advertorial’ context.
•Entering the NZ Māori Tourism Award:
•The story should describe a genuine Māori experience the reader could be inspired to participate in or empathise with. This can include discussion with Māori about the meaning and history of what they are seeing/doing (e.g. being shown around a marae, looking at carvings) as well as taking part in an activity.
•The experience should impart an understanding of Māori culture: present-day and/or historical.
•The Māori element may be just one component of a larger tourism experience, as long as it is authentic, meaningful and genuinely part of the experience.
•Entering the new Best Responsible Tourism Story Award:
•Responsible tourism is travel that is environmentally, socially, culturally and/or economically sustainable. Stories may be about a low-impact experience or destination, or an organisation or individual committed to sustainable travel; or they may be an analysis of responsible tourism issues.
•To enter, entrants must be the legal copyright holder/s or have permission from copyright and licence holder/s to enter the material in the Awards.
•Entrants fully indemnify Travcom against any claims arising from the use of the material as described herein or infringement of intellectual property rights.
•No material will be returned.
•Entrants agree that material submitted may be used in whole or in part by Travcom and its sponsors for promotion or acknowledgement of the Awards and/or exhibition with suitable credit to the entrant.
•Non-compliance with the Awards criteria will disqualify entries and no refunds will be given.
•Award prizes are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. Prizes cannot be exchanged, extended or altered in any way. Special conditions (clearly stated in sponsors’ Award vouchers) may apply to all but cash prizes, e.g. they may be subject to availability, or exclude travel during peak periods such as Easter, school holidays, Christmas etc. Airport taxes and other third-party costs may apply in some cases. All prizes are valid for one year: 15 April 2015 to 15 April 2016. Travel prizes depart from Auckland. Winners must make their own way to Auckland.
•Deadline for entries is 5.00pm Friday, 27 February 2015. No entries will be accepted after this date.
•All judging and screening decisions are final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into and no refunds will be given.