Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards 2015
Travcom (New Zealand Travel Communicators) is calling for entries to its annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards.
The supreme winners of the Cathay Pacific Travel Writer of the Year and Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year awards will each receive double tickets to Zurich flying Cathay Pacific.
Download entry form - click here
Easy Print entry form (no pictures) - click here
- Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year Award -The winner receives two economy-class tickets,upgradable on a space available basis, to Zurich travelling with Cathay Pacific
- Heritage Boutique Collection Award for the Best Travel Image taken in New Zealand. The prize is five room night vouchers for one bedroom suite accommodation, or equivalent, redeemable from a range of Heritage Boutique Collection properties throughout New Zealand.
- Air Vanuatu and Mangoes Resort Award for the Best Travel Image taken outside New Zealand. The winner receives two return economy class tickets to Port Vila plus four nights’ accommodation at Mangoes Resort
- AA Directions Magazine Award for the Best Travel Image with People. The winner receives $1,500 cash plus the winning image will be published in AA Directions
- NZ Maori Tourism Award for the Best Travel Image that captures the essence of Maori. Prize $2,000.
- Destinations Magazine award for the Best Unpulbished Travel Image. Prize $1,000.
The deadline for entering is Friday, 27 February 2015. All winners will be announced at a gala evening on Wednesday 15 April 2015 at the Heritage Hotel, Auckland.
For information on the writing awards click here.
For information on the New Travel Writer of the Year Award click here.
For information on the Best Travel Blog of the Year Award click here.
How to enter: Download Photography entry form - click here
Tips on entering - click here
Entry deadline: Friday 27 February 2015
Travcom is a not-for-profit association of travel writers, photographers, broadcasters and travel-related communicators involved in promoting a high standard of travel writing and travel photography and in publicising New Zealand and international tourism. To reinforce the aim of encouraging excellence in travel writing and photography Travcom organises the annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards. Membership of Travcom offers good networking opportunities and benefits.
For more information please contact Helen Davies on or call 021 1781 384.
Conditions of Entry:
- Photographers must be based in New Zealand.
- Each entry is a $10 entry fee.
- Photographers must be current Travcom members.
- Each image may be entered into one category only.
- Previous Travcom entries are not eligible.
- A completed and signed Travcom membership form
- must accompany entries if entering the Awards and joining
- Travcom for the first time.
- Images entered must have been first published in a magazine, newspaper, book or online on a third-party travel editorial website (or taken in ‘Unpublished’ Category) between 1 January 2014 and 26 February 2015.
- The awards are open to online content, however we wish to stress that only content from genuine travel editorial websites is eligible. If you would like to submit an online image please check with the Travcom committee before entering by emailing who will forward your query onto the Awards Sub-Committee for consideration.
- Images should not have been previously published prior to 1 January 2014 in any form.
- Only work published in a travel editorial context may be entered. Promotional or advertising work is not eligible, including images that have appeared in an ‘advertorial’ context.
- Do not name or label your prints. They will be given a unique number. Do not stick the entry form to the back of the image. Remove any identifying marks, business cards etc. Images must be shown to judges anonymously.
- To enter you must be the photographer of all the submitted content and either the legal copyright holder or have permission from the copyright holder.
- You fully indemnify Travcom against any claims arising from third parties in the event that your original submitted image infringes intellectual, property or model rights if published by Travcom and its sponsors for promotion or acknowledgment of the Awards and/or exhibition.
- Entrants agree that material submitted may be used in whole or in part by Travcom and its sponsors for promotion or acknowledgement of the Awards and/or exhibition with suitable credit to the entrant.
- Entrants agree that their submitted material may be cropped for editorial and layout purposes and that such altered images may be credited to them. Travcom and its sponsors will endeavour to suitably credit all images to the entrant.
- Non-compliance with the Awards criteria will disqualify entries and no refunds will be given.
- Prints will be treated with care, but no responsibility will be accepted in the case of loss or damage.
- A self-addressed, prepaid courier pack must accompany work for its return. Entries may be collected by arrangement. Entries not collected by 1 June 2015 will be disposed of.
- Award prizes are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. Prizes cannot be exchanged, extended or altered in any way. Special conditions (clearly stated in sponsors’ Award vouchers) may apply to all but cash prizes, e.g. they may be subject to availability, or exclude travel during peak periods such as Easter, school holidays, Christmas etc. Airport taxes and other third-party costs may apply in some cases. All prizes are valid for one year: 15 April 2015 to 15 April 2016. Travel prizes depart from Auckland. Winners must make their own way to Auckland. Airport taxes and other third-party costs apply to the Air Vanuatu & Mangoes Resort prize (estimated to be $350)
- Travel prizes depart from Auckland. Winners must make their own way to Auckland.
- Deadline for entries is 5.00pm Friday, 27 February 2015. No entries will be accepted after this date.
- All judging decisions are final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into and no refunds will be given.
- This is a travel photography competition. The context must genuinely aim to inform or inspire readers about an
- aspect of travel. Entrants must explain where the photo was taken and what it depicts in the space on the entry form.
Submission of Entries:
- A completed entry form must accompany each image entered.
- A copy of the travel article the images appeared in must accompany the entry clearly showing the name of the photographer, publication name and date of publication.
- If necessary include the masthead and/or contents page as proof of publication.
All awards for published photography are eligible for the Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year Award:
i.e. the Heritage Boutique Collection Award for the Best Travel Image taken in New Zealand, Air Vanuatu and Mangoes Resort Award for the Best Travel Image taken Outside New Zealand, AA Directions Award for the Best Travel Image with People and the NZ Maori Tourism Award for the Best Travel Image that Captures the Essence of Maori are all for travel images that have been published in a newspaper, magazine or online during 2014.
- Each entry must be on 8”x12” (20x30cm) photographic paper mounted on sturdy mounting card with a minimum thickness of 3mm sized 8”x12” (20x30cm).
- A copy of the article or context in which the photographs appeared must accompany each entry.
Destinations Magazine Best Unpublished Travel Image Award is not eligible for the Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year Award
- Photographs must have been taken between 1 January 2014 and 26 February 2014.
- The photographs cannot have appeared in a mass public medium in any printed or electronic form.
- Entries must be of exceptional technical quality and both evocative and informative. They must fit within a non-advertising, travel editorial context in keeping with the spirit of the Travcom Awards.
- Prints shall not be altered from the original image taken, except for exposure, colour adjustments and minor tidying. Stitched and HDR images are acceptable, but no compositing or drastic adjustments will be permitted. Judges reserve the right to request an original file where the print is questionable.
- Each entry must be on 8”x12” (20x30cm) photographic paper, mounted on sturdy mounting card with a minimum thickness of 3mm sized 8”x12” (20x30cm).