Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards 2014
Travcom (New Zealand Travel Communicators) is calling for entries to its annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards.
The supreme winners of the Cathay Pacific Travel Writer of the Year and Cathay Pacific Travel Photographer of the Year awards will each receive double tickets to Cambodia flying Cathay Pacific with Adventure World's private Heritage Tour. Click here to find out more about the prize.
The deadline for entering is Friday, 28 March 2014. All winners will be announced at a gala evening on Friday, 16 May 2014 at the Heritage Hotel, Auckland.
To download the entry form Click Here.
Tips on entering the awards - click here
- Cathay Pacific Travel Writer of the Year Award. The winner receives two economy class tickets, upgradeable on a space-available basis, to Cambodia travelling with Cathay Pacific plus a six day Cambodia Heritage private tour courtesy of Adventure World.
- Auckland Airport Award for the Best Travel Story over 1000 words. Prize $2000.
- Westpac Award for the Best Travel Story under 1000 words. Prize $2000.
- Heritage Hotels Award for the Best Travel Story about New Zealand. The winner receives seven room nights with breakfast for two to stay at one of the range of Heritage or CityLife hotels throughout New Zealand.
- Interislander Award for the Best Story about a Journey. The winner receives a return crossing on the Interislander for a car and two passengers and $1000.
- British High Commission and Tourism Ireland Award for the Best Travel Story about Britain and/or Ireland. The winner receives $1000 and may choose collection pieces from Waterford Wedgeford to the value of $1000.
- NZ Maori Tourism Award for the Best Travel Story that promotes Maori. Prize $2000.
- AA Directions New Travel Writer of the Year Award. Prize $1000.
For information on the photography awards click here.
For information on the New Travel Writer of the Year Award click here. This award is for unpublished travel stories written by those who have never had a travel story published.
How to enter: download writing entry form - click here
Easy print writing entry form (no pictures) - click here
Or to receive entry forms by email contact .
Entry deadline: Friday 28 March 2014
Travcom is a not-for-profit association of travel writers, photographers, broadcasters and travel-related communicators involved in promoting a high standard of travel writing and travel photography and in publicising New Zealand and international tourism. To reinforce the aim of encouraging excellence in travel writing and photography Travcom organises the annual Cathay Pacific Travel Media Awards. Membership of Travcom offers good networking opportunities and benefits.
For more information please contact Helen Davies on or call 021 1781 384.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All entries must be written by a New Zealand-based writer, based on their own experiences, and first published in a newspaper, magazine or online on a third-party travel editorial website between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013.
- The travel media awards are open to online content, however only entries from genuine travel editorial websites is eligible. If you would like to submit a story that has been published online please check with the Travcom committee before entering by emailing who will forward your query onto the Awards Sub-Committee for consideration.
- Stories should not have been previously published prior to 1 January 2013 in any form.
- Entrants must be current Travcom members. A completed and signed Travcom membership form must accompany entries if entering the Awards and joining Travcom for the first time. Each entry costs $10.
- Entrants may submit work in more than one category, but the same story cannot be entered in more than one category.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that can be submitted.
- A completed entry form must accompany each story entered. Two hard copies of the published story clearly showing where the story was published must accompany each entry. Photocopies are acceptable. The full text, writer's name, name of the publication and date of publication must be shown. If necessary, include the masthead and/or contents page. Travcom will blank out names prior to submission to the judges to ensure anonymity. All entrants must be paid-up Travcom members.
- Only work published in a travel editorial context may be entered. Promotional or advertising work is not eligible, including stories that have appeared in an ‘advertorial’ context.
- Entering the NZ Maori Tourism Award:
- The story should describe a genuine Maori experience the reader could be inspired to participate in or empathise with. This can include discussion with Maori about the meaning and history of what they are seeing/doing (e.g. being shown around a marae, looking at carvings) as well as taking part in an activity.
- The experience should impart an understanding of Maori culture: present-day and/or historical.
- The Maori element may be just one component of a larger tourism experience, as long as it is authentic, meaningful and genuinely part of the experience.
- To enter, entrants must be the legal copyright holder/s or have permission from copyright and licence holder/s to enter the material in the Awards.
- Entrants fully indemnify Travcom against any claims arising from the use of the material as described herein or infringement of intellectual property rights.
- No material will be returned.
- Entrants agree that material submitted may be used in whole or in part by Travcom and its sponsors for promotion or acknowledgement of the Awards and/or exhibition with suitable credit to the entrant.
- Non-compliance with the Awards criteria will disqualify entries and no refunds will be given.
- Award prizes are not transferable and may not be exchanged for cash. Special conditions (clearly stated in sponsors’ Award vouchers) may apply to all but cash prizes, e.g. they may be subject to availability, or exclude travel during peak periods. Airport taxes and other third-party costs may apply in some cases.
- The prize for the Travel Writer of the Year and Travel Photographer of the Year cannot be exchanged, extended or altered in any way. Close-out dates may include peak travel periods.
- Travel prizes depart from Auckland. Winners must make their own way to Auckland.
- Deadline for entries is 5.00pm Friday, 28 March 2014. No entries will be accepted after this date.
- All judging and screening decisions are final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into and no refunds will be given.